Monday, December 28, 2015

7 Lessons to Learn While Being Single

Not really, but I loved this image.
 
These days nobody seems to want to want to be single. I can honestly say that before I met JB I was actually happy being single. I used that time to reflect, mingle, have fun, and prepare myself as best as I could.

I just don't get why most people despise being single. Don't get me wrong, I do get in some instances you do want that male companion. You want a significant other to share your happy moments, lean on their shoulder in sad times, and someone to just show you love.

However, there are so many perks to being single that in my opinion, it can definitely outweigh the bad. Being single is nothing but a lesson. Being single teaches you more about yourself than a relationship will....well at least on a different level.

1. The most important lesson when single is to learn or remember to love yourself. It sounds like such an easy concept; however, it is something that many people don't do. Some think that loving someone else will make them love themselves, or having someone love them makes up for the lack of personal love. It doesn't! Nobody can love you more than you love yourself. I know it feels good to be loved, but a void will always be present when you don't love yourself. And if that is the case.... then you are in trouble. I mean how can you honestly love someone, and not have the strength to love yourself first.

2. Let go of the past. It is easy to regret what did happen or "what if" what didn't happen. Unfortunately, it is over. Let go and leave it in the past. You come up with these scenarios thinking "if only". But let's be frank we can "if only" all day long, it's not happening. The moment is over. You reliving the past is not helping you to be happy in the place you are in life. The best thing to do is learn from the situations of the past and move on. Think of all the new opportunities you will soon face. Now prepare yourself for that.

3. Let the list go. I'm guilty of the list as well. When I was younger I had a list with the qualities of the guy I wanted. It didn't cross my mind that I would ever have to do without some of these qualities. Now that I am much older and more mature, I know that that is the farthest thing from the truth. Don't get me wrong, have standards. But a lot of your list you need to let go of. Remember, you  may not meet every quality a guy has on his list either. I mean do you even meet the things on your list.

4. Learn to be happy. There are plenty of people in a relationship and are unhappy. Relationships don't guarantee happiness.

5.Work on your life. You want a man who can bring plenty to the table, but what are you bringing? Don't sit at a table in which you have nothing to offer. Work on yourself and your wants, dreams, desires. You both should be so individually determined that you inspire each other.

6  Single = Mingle. You won't find a guy you want or any guy for that matter by being cooped up in the house. Grab your friends, raid your closet/go shopping, get pretty, go out and mingle. Will you meet Mr. Right the first night? Uhhh prolly not. But don't get discouraged. The first few guys may not do anything for you or they can make great friends. Beware of where you go to mingle. This could determine the kind of guy you will attract. You don't want to find just any guy, so remember to keep your standards.

7. You won't be single forever. Yes, I know you have been single for 3 years and it feels like 30. I know you are thinking that you will forever be single, but you won't. It is only a temporary situation giving you plenty of time to figure yourself out. Make the time you are single worth it.


Being single is a great experience. Everyone should take their single status and make the best of it. Being single is the time that we can learn the most about ourselves. It is the time that we can do things that we have always wanted to do. We can accomplish many goals and prepare ourselves for that relationship that we have always dreamed of. Relationships are not an easy task. The great ones  require a lot of time and work.   Remember you are not the only single person in the world. There are plenty of others like you. It's okay.

"Being single is the time to prepare you for love."

No comments:

Post a Comment