Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Intern Considerations & Questions

 
 
 
 
 
Recently I was on the search for an internship for my last semester of undergrad. First off I figured it would be really hard finding an intern close to home, but I was willing to give it a shot anyway. I actually only went to two locations within an hour. The second location gave me an intern immediately. So I just stopped searching. When I got home, I checked my email and I had an email from my first stop telling me I needed to fill out some paper work. Both interns said yes!! Awesome right. Unfortunately I had to turn both interns down because I am receiving a stipend which automatically gives me a paid internship.
Although I was lucky to receive an intern at two of my top choices, I initially did some research on things to consider when choosing an intern. Not every opportunity is a great one. Figure out which intern better suits you. After further research, here are a list of important questions and things you should do when considering your intern:

1. Figure out what is you want. What type of intern do you want? What do you expect to get out of your internship? What population do you want to work with? What do you expect to learn?
2. Research the company. Know what they stand for and what they do.
3. Is this a paid intern? (At my school they aren’t with the exception of those receiving the stipend) If you have bills you may need to consider a job after your intern hours.
 
4. What hours will I be working? Is my schedule flexible? This is something you may need to talk to your professor about as well because they may can answer this question.
5. Ask what your exact duties/responsibilities will be. How many people will you be working for?
 
6. How many interns will be there with you? Will you all be working under the same person, doing the same thing?
7. Can your internship transition into a full time position? Could you possibly be hired after graduation?
 
8. Will this internship benefit me in the long run? Will it give me a foundation and the experience needed in my career?
9. Is it relevant to your chosen career?
10. Do you know anyone who interned here? If not, try researching and seeing what you can find on the company?
11. Is your internship in a convenient location? Consider your financial situation and your ability to be on time when thinking of location.
 
 

      - The Boujie Belle
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment